Opening remarks: Select Board Chair Alissa Nicol relayed Acton Water District updates: all three treatment plants have completed conditioning and, as of the end of April, are delivering water at PFAS “non-detect” levels. Outdoor watering restrictions are at “Level 3”, allowing outdoor watering 1 day per week.
Independence Day activities: Assistant Town Manager Thom Begin expanded on plans for the July 2 Independence Day celebration, describing an event organized by Parks & Recreation Director Tim Michalski and Events & Program Coordinator Maura Haberman intended to revive some of the family-oriented activities that accompanied pre-pandemic July Fourth events at NARA Park.
From 4:00 to 7:30 p.m., the site will host a “Family Fun Time” featuring bounce houses, water slides, games, music, beach access with lifeguards on duty, and food vendors. The formal opening ceremony is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. and is expected to include remarks from attending state legislators, an address from the Select Board Chair, and is proposed to include a reading of either a poem or the Declaration of Independence. From 8:00 to 10:30 p.m., the evening will shift to a live performance by “The Boss Project”, a Bruce Springsteen tribute band, accompanied, beginning around 9:20 p.m., by a laser light show modeled on the Pink Floyd-themed laser events previously held at NARA. Food vendors will remain open through most of the concert, and the event is scheduled to conclude at 10:30 p.m.
Mr. Begin also outlined several logistical changes from prior years. Unlike earlier regional fireworks celebrations that required satellite parking and shuttle buses, the town expects this year’s more locally focused format to draw a smaller crowd, estimated at 1,500 to 2,000 attendees. Parking will be handled entirely on site. Board members stressed the importance of public outreach because the celebration is being held on July 2 rather than July 4. Mr. Begin said that the town plans to promote the event through Main Street banners, news flashes, press releases, local media outreach, and repeated announcements at upcoming Select Board meetings. He also praised Ms. Haberman’s work, securing sponsorships and donations from local businesses to support both the Independence Day program and the broader summer events series.
In an earlier discussion of Independence Day observances, then-Vice Chair Alissa Nicol had objected to a full reading of the Declaration of Independence because of what she described as “derogatory racist language” directed at Indigenous people in one of the document’s grievances against the British Crown. Revisiting the issue, Ms. Nicol said conversations with residents and local historical participants had caused her to reconsider her earlier position. She noted that while many Americans are familiar with the Declaration’s preamble, the larger body of the text functions as a detailed justification for revolution and has historically been read publicly to invoke the nation’s founding ideals. Ms. Nicol proposed that the reading proceed in full, but with introductory remarks placing the document in historical context and acknowledging the presence of offensive language. She compared such contextualization to the way educators or theater companies may prepare audiences before presenting works such as Mark Twain’s “Huckleberry Finn” or Shakespeare’s “The Merchant of Venice”.
Other board members broadly supported the revised approach. Mr. Charter said Ms. Nicol had “threaded the needle” by balancing historical fidelity with sensitivity to community concerns, while member David Martin referenced National Public Radio’s longstanding practice of preceding annual Declaration readings with a notice acknowledging offensive language directed toward Native Americans. The Board voted unanimously to authorize a complete reading of the Declaration of Independence at the July 2 celebration, accompanied by a contextualizing preface.
Primrose School, 457 Massachusetts Ave.: The Board returned to the application of nationwide private childcare provider Primrose Schools to replace the historic house at 457 Mass. Ave. with a two-story childcare center. The lot is directly across Massachusetts Avenue from Prospect Street, and adjacent to the R.J. Grey Jr. High school. The Acton Exchange has previously reported on hearings regarding a wastewater connection for this application; on ongoing discussions of the fate of the house and a Memorandum of Agreement governing Primrose’s obligations; and on a third hearing that included mention of legal limits on the scope of acceptable restrictions the Town may place on the project.
At the nearly 90-minute hearing, Chair Nicol reiterated that the “Dover Amendment” restricts Massachusetts municipalities’ use of zoning requirements to prevent construction of child care centers and certain other uses. She noted that Primrose had revised the plan to include only electric utilities, eliminating the need to discuss fossil-fuel-use waivers. The Board’s review authority is limited to specific categories, including bulk and height of structures, yard sizes, lot area, setbacks, open space, parking, and building coverage. Board members must identify and explain any concerns they raise, while the burden rests on the applicant to demonstrate that any local requirements are unreasonable.
What has been resolved: Applicant’s counsel Jonathan Silverstein of West Concord summarized several issues addressed since the February hearing. A second emergency exit has been added to the play area following consultation with the Fire Department. An abutting neighbor met with Primrose representatives and was satisfied with the proposed landscaping plan, with an agreement to reassess and enhance the boundary buffer after construction if necessary. He confirmed the arrangement at the hearing, describing it as a handshake agreement he expects will be honored. A shared driveway with the adjacent R.J. Gray school had been mentioned previously by the Board; however, the Primrose representative reported that “…we were politely told but in no uncertain terms that the school department has no interest in that.” Stormwater design comments were characterized as minor and resolvable administratively as a condition of approval.
Compact parking spaces, reduced to 13.5 feet in length, allowed the site plan to incorporate a sidewalk along the eastern side of the driveway as well as a pedestrian walkway providing ADA-compliant access from the Massachusetts Avenue crosswalk to the building entrance. Bicycle parking has been included, with the applicant willing to relocate it in coordination with Town staff.
Remaining issues: Board member Fran Arsenault, who has expressed skepticism about the site throughout the review, pressed on the question of building size and asked whether a single-story design was possible. Primrose’s financial representative presented occupancy projections showing the facility loses money at 55 percent occupancy, with profitability dependent on a larger enrollment base. He argued this is why a substantially smaller building is not viable, and noted that competitors are constructing facilities of similar scale for the same reasons. He walked the Board through a project cost summary: the property is under agreement for $1,125,000. Design, engineering, and governmental fees add substantially to that amount, as do site costs increased by shallow bedrock. The building itself is budgeted at close to $3 million, bringing the total project cost to approximately $8 million.
The question of the existing house drew extended discussion. Mr. Silverstein reiterated that reuse is not feasible, and said Primrose has been in contact with the Historic Commission exploring whether the building could be advertised for relocation. He added that the company would accept relocation as a condition of approval.
Traffic safety dominated the latter portion of the hearing, with Chair Nicol raising detailed concerns about the proximity of the proposed driveway to the junior high entrance, sight lines for vehicles turning from Prospect Street onto Massachusetts Avenue during peak drop-off and pickup times, and the slope of the proposed driveway. Board members and a resident described plausible scenarios that could lead to substantial traffic backups. Primrose confirmed that the MassDOT permitting process is ongoing and that the traffic report will be updated to reflect recent changes to the Massachusetts Avenue and Charter Road intersection, including new traffic lights and added turn lanes. Ms. Nicol requested updated vehicle count data, including a verified date, before the Board votes.
Ms. Nicol also raised a question for planning staff regarding how the Board’s mandatory finding — that the project provides for convenient and safe vehicular and pedestrian movement — relates to the Dover Amendment’s limitation on reviewable categories, noting that pedestrian and vehicular circulation is not among the eight items listed in the Attorney General’s Dover guidance. She asked for clarification from counsel before a decision is made.
With no draft decision in hand, the Board voted unanimously to continue the public hearing to June 1.
Briefly noted:
- Board member Fran Arsenault will attend an Eagle Court of Honor for Shakthi Saravanan; June 3, 2026, 6:00 p.m. at NARA Park.
- The Board attested to the unique properties of 46 Taylor Road, a requirement for the purchase that was approved at the recent Town Meeting.
- The Board reviewed progress on their 2025 goals and briefly mentioned procedures for their 2026 goal setting meeting.
Hearing: Citing a positive review from the Town Engineering department, the Board approved an application of NStar Electric Company (doing business as Eversource Energy) for the installation of 16 poles on Quarry Road, to provide service to a new development at 123 Quarry Road.
Tom Beals is the Acton Exchange Select Board beat reporter.











